Friday, June 05, 2009

The Blog is now moved to DhaneshNair.com
Visit the new site for latest updates

Me dhanesh nair boltoy I - Yaadein

It was a funny incident happened while I started my life in Pune. I was staying with my cousin and was desperately searching for jobs. One evening I was planning to iron my shirt and trouser as I had an interview next day. There was no power so I thought of taking it shop to get my dress ironed.
I took the dress and went to the shop. I saw an old lady there who was ironing the dresses. Thanks to Doordarshan(That was the only channel I was used to since my tenth standard and because of that I had a better understanding on Hindi) I started talking to her.

“Ithar Shirt Press kartein hey kya?” (Do you iron shirts here).

Mala maith nahi(I don’t know)? She replied.

Holy Gosh, what is she saying. I repeated the question. This time she made it clear, “Mala Hindi maith nahi”. I got a clue then. Oh I See, She doesn’t know Hindi. I don’t know Marathi, any ways it is not always necessary to know the language to communicate. With the help of action I somehow managed to tell her that I need to iron this shirt and trouser. God! She understood. She nodded her head. I told her that it is really urgent and I will wait. I assume she understood that also. Fact is that most people in Pune understand Hindi.
Now I need to know the cost, “Dress press karne keliye kithna hey”? (Whats the cost to iron the dress)
She replied “Saha”
God Saha, They charge this much for pressing a shirt and a pant? Fact is that I thought saha as a big number. I decided not to bring any more shirts to any shops for ironing. She completed ironing the dress. I gave her 10 Rs note.

“Aur chahiye”? I asked

“Nahi”. She returned 1 Rs to me. Man, it’s too costly, 9 Rs to iron one shirt and a pant.
I returned home. While talking to my cousin, I told him about the incident. I told him that she charged “Saha” for ironing and she returned One rupees. Is it not costly? He started laughing. It is just four rupees for ironing a shirt and a trouser. More over Saha means Six not 9.

Oh God! I understood the importance of learning Marathi then. My friends to make fun of me whenever they see a ironing shop. So guys, lesson learned "Saha = Six"

No comments: